After discovering how delicious farro was a few summers ago, I search every website I could find for different ways to use it. I found this recipe on the Williams-Sonoma website.
Just adding a picture of some of the ingredients I use, all of them were purchased at Whole Foods Market.
The first time I cooked farro, I discovered a few problems. First problem, the package didn’t have any instructions on how long to cook it; second problem, it ended up taking forever to cook; third problem, it was a starchy mess.
After doing some research, I found out that soaking the farro before hand solves all these problems. You can soak it for 15 minutes or an hour, either way it will reduce the cooking time and not be such a mess.
Tuscan Farro Soup:
This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma
Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes; Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup farro
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth *vegetable broth with work as well
- 3/4 can cannellini beans
- 3/4 can diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a bowl, soak the farro in cold water for 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil for the farro. When the water in boiling, add salt and the farro. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until tender.
2. While the farro in cooking, you can prep your other ingredients; chop the onion, spinach and basil, mince the garlic, and get everything else ready. When the farro has finished cooking, drain and set aside.
3. In a medium, heavy pot warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, for about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the beans, tomatoes, and farro. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add spinach and basil, stir in and let wilt. Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Feel free to leave a comment or question and subscribe for more recipes every Monday & Thursday.