One day I was looking through soup recipes and getting aggravated because none of them fit the guidelines I need to follow for recipes for work. Most soup recipes have something with gluten in it (pasta or flour), tomatoes, chicken, or don’t have much protein at all. Which are all no-nos for what I need, so I decided to make my own recipe.
I just took ingredients from a dozen different recipes and added quinoa. This soup fits all of the guidelines I follow (vegan, gluten-free, macrobiotic) and tastes fantastic!
I cook quinoa so often, I could probably do it with my eyes closed. Most recipes tell you to use 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. But I’ll let you in on a secret – THAT DOESN’T ALWAYS WORK. Here’s why:
- Every time I cover a pot of simmering quinoa, it boils over and gooey water goes all over my stove.
- 15 minutes is sometimes too much time and sometimes not enough time. Just let it simmer, while stirring occasionally, until the water is gone. (but before it burns to the bottom of the pot)
- I find that 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa leeds to soggy quinoa. I prefer 1 cup quinoa to 1 3/4 cup water. (for more than 1 cup just multiple by 1.75 – ex. 1.75 x 3 = 5 1/4 cups water)
Veggie Quinoa Soup
Makes 6-8 serving (freezes well)
3/4 cup red quinoa, uncooked
6 cups veggie broth
2-15oz cans of cannellini/great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and 1/2 inch diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Add 3/4 cup quinoa and 1 1/3 cup water to a small pan, cook for about 15 minutes at a simmer or until the water is gone. Be sure to stir every few minutes. When done, set aside to cool.
2. Chop onion, carrots, and sweet potato. Drain and rinse beans.
3. In a soup pot, sauté onion with salt and pepper in extra virgin olive oil, until softened.
4. Add carrots and sweet potato to the pot, sauté for about 5 minutes.
5. Add beans and veggie broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for about 25 minutes or until veggies are done.
6. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and add to the soup. Enjoy!
Subscribe for more recipes like this!
If you have any questions, comments, or recipe requests, please feel free to leave a comment or contact me. Also, if you make this recipe, please let me know what you think!
(This recipe is completely my own)