Beans are a great source of vegan, gluten-free protein and extremely versatile. This bean salad is a great way to use seasonal spring/summer ingredients. The green bean and sugar snap peas provide a crunch that goes great with the creamy black beans and chickpeas. Thinly sliced scallions and fresh tarragon add a nice bite.
Blanching is my favorite method for cooking veggies. Just a few minutes in salted boiling water followed by an ice water bath – keeps the bright color and a wonderful crunch. From there, the veggies can be added to a recipe like this or eaten on their own.
Three Bean Salad
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
1 15oz. can chickpea, drained and rinsed
1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons tarragon, chopped
2 cups green beans or wax beans, chopped in half
2 cups sugar snap peas
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper
1. Place all dressing ingredients in a container with a lid, place lid on, and shake together. Set aside.
2. Drain and rinse black beans and chickpeas, slice scallions, and chop tarragon.
3. Chop green beans in half.
4. Start boiling a medium pot of water. Get a large bowl ready with ice water for shocking.
5. When the water starts to boil, salt the water, and blanch green beans for 3-4 minutes, placing them in the ice bath when done. Do the same with the sugar snap peas. Drain beans well from ice bath.
6. Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Top with dressing. Serve right away or chilled.
Subscribe for more recipes like this!
If you have any questions, comments, or recipe requests, please feel free to leave a comment or contact me. Also, if you make this recipe, please let me know what you think!