While watching The Chew a while back, I saw these sandwiches and knew I needed to try them.
What really makes these sandwiches, is the gherkin mayo. It just adds so much flavor to an otherwise boring sandwich.
These do take a little time to make, mainly because the chicken needs to be cooked in batches. Also, after the chicken is finished, the pancetta needs to be cooked.
Pancetta Chicken Cutlet Sandwiches:
This is based off this recipe, from Nadia G. on The Chew
Active Time: 45 minutes
- 1- 4 piece pack of chicken *I buy thinly sliced so I don’t have to pound it
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying the chicken
- 1 pack of sliced pancetta
- 3 sweet gherkins, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise *any kind you’d like, I use Vegenaise
- 4 rolls, any kind
- 4 large lettuce leaves, which I’ve forgotten here
1. If you are using thinly sliced chicken, skip to step 2. If you are using normal chicken, use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to about 1/2 inch thick.
2. Prepare two bowls with your breading, one with a beaten egg and one with breadcrumbs. Have a plate ready to hold the breaded chicken. Start breading the chicken, coating with the egg first, then with the breadcrumbs.
3. In a non-stick skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil on low-medium heat. Start cooking chicken, about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. You will want to do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
4. While the chicken is cooking you can make the gherkin mayo. Mince the gherkins and add to a bowl with the mayonnaise, mix together. *pictured above
5. When all the chicken is cooked, you can start cooking the pancetta. Place a few slices in the pan at a time, cook for about 15-2o seconds on each side. Place cooked pancetta slices on a paper towel covered plate to drain any extra oil.
6. Assemble the sandwiches; add gherkin mayo, a few slices of pancetta, a piece of lettuce, and a piece of chicken. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Feel free to leave a comment or question and subscribe for more recipes every Monday & Thursday.