This is definitely the easiest and most delicious Mac & Cheese recipe I have ever found.
And you don’t have to wait an hour for it to bake in the oven.
This recipe is completed by making a mascarpone and parmesan sauce.
This sauce is then mixed with any shaped pasta you would like. Most of the time, I use some sort of spiral pasta shape, but this time I found these little gnocchi shells.
Before placing the Mac & cheese in the oven, it is topped with a breadcrumb mixture. This mixture can be customized to your taste. I always add extra rosemary and oregano to my mixture.
Mac & Cheese Recipe:
(This is based off a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook “My Father’s Daughter”)
Active Time: 20 to 25 minutes; Inactive Time: 15 minutes
- 1 box of pasta, any shape that holds onto sauce well (shells or something with ridges)
- 8 ounces mascarpone *pictured above
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup of Parmesan, lightly packed and grated
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
*This can be adjusted to your own taste, you can add as much topping as you would like. I personally don’t like a lot of topping.
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs *pictured above
- A few sprinkles of the fresh or dried herbs of your choice *I use rosemary and oregano
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Fill a large pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.
2. While waiting for your water to boil, you can get the cheese sauce ready. In a small saucepan, put the mascarpone, 1 cup of Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Set off to the side until the pasta has started cooking.
3. When your water comes to a rolling boil, add some salt and the pasta. Cook the pasta until it’s at the texture you like.
4. After the pasta starts cooking, put the saucepan with the cheese sauce ingredients over a medium-low heat. When it is all melted nicely together, add the milk. Mix together until smooth and keep on a low heat, stirring every few minutes, until the pasta is done.
5. When your pasta is ready, drain and place back in the pot. Pour in cheese sauce and mix. Pour into an oven safe baking dish.
6. Mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan and herbs for your topping. Sprinkle over mac & cheese.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Enjoy!