One of my favorite Youtube channels is SORTED Food, a British based cooking channel and website. I have found so many amazing recipes on there and the videos are hilarious.
My mom loves broccoli soup, but it’s very difficult to find a recipe that isn’t loaded with cheese and/or cream. This recipe is made creamy with milk and butter beans; I also added a dollop of plain greek yogurt at the end to make it extra creamy.
The original recipe recommends serving the soup with grilled cheese dippers, which I also recommend. I made my grilled cheese with fresh italian bread and shredded muenster cheese; just plain and simple so it goes well with the soup.
This recipe is from Sorted Food, I just changed it up a little.
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Active Time: 20 to 25 minutes
What you will need:
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped *including some stalk
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of butter beans
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Plain greek yogurt, for topping
1. Prep the ingredients; chop the onion, chop the garlic, and chop and wash the broccoli. Get all other ingredients prepared as well.
2. In a medium pot, heat up the olive oil. Sauté the onion until soft, about 5 minutes while covered, then add the garlic.
3. After the garlic has cooked for a minute, add the broccoli, water, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Then add the milk, beans, and lemon juice. Cook for 5 more minutes and then liquify until smooth with an immersion blender or regular blender.
(I recommend investing in an immersion blender, it’s the safer option when blending hot liquids.)
5. Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of plain greek yogurt. Serve on its own or with grilled cheese dippers. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Feel free to leave a comment or question and subscribe for more recipes on Mondays & Thursdays.