Rice crispy treats were one of the only sugary snacks I enjoyed as a kid. I was never the kid who begged for cotton candy or a slushy, but I loved rice crispy treats! My mom always made them a special (occasional) treat for me.
These treats are unbelievably easy to make and are so delicious! These are a great alternative (that I actually prefer) to traditional rice crispy treats. They are also a great source of protein and have no processed sugar. These can also be customized to your taste or allergy needs. I’ve made these with almond butter and peanut butter, and I’m sure they would taste great with cashew butter or sunflower butter.
I normally make these with regular rice crispy cereal but you can also use chocolate rice crispy cereal. Which just happens to, when combined with peanut butter, taste like a peanut butter cup!
Rice Crispy Treats
1/2 cup freshly ground peanut/almond butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups gluten free rice crispy cereal
1. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add the rice crispy cereal.
3. In a small saucepan, add peanut butter, honey, salt, and vanilla extract. On a low heat, melt the mixture together.
4. Add peanut butter mixture to the cereal, mix thoroughly.
5. Press mixture into the lined baking dish and place into the fridge for about 4 hours or overnight.
6. After the treats have chilled, use the parchment paper to help you place them on a cutting board and cut them into 9, 12, or 16 squares.
7. Serve right away or place in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Subscribe for more recipes like this!
If you have any questions, comments, or recipe requests, please feel free to leave a comment or contact me. Also, if you make this recipe, please let me know what you think!
(This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe I found on Pinterest)